Stora Enso supports the UN's Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), a universal call to action to end poverty, protect the planet, and ensure that all people enjoy peace and prosperity.
How we address the SDGs
The seventeen United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) address social and economic development issues on a global scale, each with their own set of related targets. All sectors of society, including businesses, are encouraged to work and collaborate on these goals. For business to deliver its contribution, the SDGs must be integrated into company agendas and strategies.
Read more about our approach to the Sustainable Development Goals in the Annual Report 2021.
These are the goals that we have the biggest impact on, and to which our KPIs and targets contribute.
How we contribute to SDG 12:
- We use renewable materials.
- We are part of the bioeconomy and circular economy.
- We constantly innovate to improve resource and material efficiency.
How we contribute to SDG 13:
- Renewable materials are an important part of the carbon cycle. They grow back and keep absorbing carbon dioxide and storing carbon.
- We identify and analyse carbon risks and opportunities to establish their financial and non-financial impacts, the likelihood of their occurrence, and their root causes.
- As the first in our industry, we set ambitious science-based targets for reducing our greenhouse gas emissions in 2017.
How we contribute to SDG 15:
- 100% of our main raw material, wood, comes from sustainably managed forests that grow back.
- We safeguard forest biodiversity.
- As wood is our most important raw material, our Group’s key risks cover forests and land use.